BAD BAD SUPPORT & CUSTOMER CARE, BE WARNED!

stevemac32
Threads: 2, Posts: 14

Just a warning to anyone using Cryptopia, do not run into any problems as they have zero interest in helping you. 

I sent the wrong tokens to my Cryptopia wallet, my bad of course, about $500 worth. I know they could correct this in about 60 seconds using the private key only they hold and about 50cents of gas (which they could of charged my account).  

Instead I waited over 3 days for a reply that just said  "We do not list BMC so are unable to recover funds. We also have a $1000NZD transaction value threshold and a recovery fee of 0.1BTC" and closed the case.

I can even see the tokens on Ethplorer; https://ethplorer.io/address/0x037a7a8982d3d0445bc6a3cbfe50f33139ea9cc2 

A serious exchange would resolve this, there are stacks of examples citing the likes of Bittrex and Poly doing this for customers.  Bittrex even have insurance for it. 

Also consider that Cryptopia's fees are outrageously high and just know that barely a dime is going to be spent on helping their customers.

I know it is my fault initially but I also know the solution is easily fixable and would cost a few cents and only about 1 minute of someones time to fix.

My advice, use a decentralised exchange, you will get much much cheaper fees and the same level of support = none!

Note to admins: I am sure you will delete this within 2 minutes, if you do I will just have to put it across the public domain because people deserve to know. 

Posted: 9/24/2017 7:55:54 PM Edited: 9/24/2017 8:02:33 PM
DaRoll
Threads: 1, Posts: 22

Hi Steve.

As an Admin I will not delete this thread, however I will answer the inaccuracies stated in the hope you will understand this process a bit better and why it is not a simple correction.

The process of recovering coins sent to the wrong wallet is an inherently risky and time consuming process. If this was something that could be easily resolved in one minute for basically no cost, it would be done immediately. The cost of resources to process a recovery is on average $1000, which is why this value is the threshold to what we will recover. As you were in advised, the process of recovering your specific error is not possible as we don't have BMC listed at Cryptopia. This means that even if we were able to recover your transaction, we have no way to send it back to you. 

What you expect us to do to assit you (in 60 seconds at a cost of 50 cents) is to list a new coin. This involves a process of coin and code review from our Development team before we even consider adding it to our exchange, and we reject several coins a week based on this so there would be no gurantee BMC would even be successful.

Our recovery fee is generally below the amount it costs Cryptopia to perform these requests, so it generally costs us more then just "barely a dime". The majority of employees here at Cryptopia work as support staff, so helping our customers is actually where the bulk of our dimes are spent.

I will concede that three days to answer your support ticket is not up to the usual standard our users expect from our Support Team, and we are working as fast as can and bringing new team members on board to cut down our response times to tickets. However, you can't say that you get no support, while simultaneously saying your ticket was answered, simply because it wasn't the answer you were hoping for.

I appreciate this was an unfortunate way to learn about the importance of giving your full attention when trading, and you probably just posted this to blow off steam at your initial frustration, however plastering FUD over forums is not a great way to get your point across.

Posted: 9/24/2017 8:52:46 PM
stevemac32

Thank you for your reply. I would certainly not expect you to add another coin just for my 500 BMC, that would be disspraportionate.  

The way you can send my BMC tokens back to me is as follows;

1. Obtain the private key for my CTR wallet which you hold. 
  2. Enter it into Myetherwallet.
  3. Use the TransactionID i sent in my support request to find my ETH/MEW address I sent it from.
  4. Add gas and hit send.

This can be done as the coin is erc20 and your wallets run on the ethereum blockchain (I know this because this is why I and everyone else can see it on Ethplorer). 

R

Steve 

Posted: 9/24/2017 9:05:41 PM
stevemac32

Given my last reply and the lack of reply from Cryptopia, am I safe to assume this statement;

"If this was something that could be easily resolved in one minute for basically no cost, it would be done immediately."

is nothing more than a PR fable? 

Posted: 9/25/2017 6:22:19 PM
v17
Threads: 0, Posts: 28

It is not a matter of customer support that the nature of all bitcoinlike transactions is meant to be irrevocable.  If you dropped $500 down a drain, would you complain that the council did not send out a drain maintenance truck and crew to retrieve it for you ?  Low transaction fees make it straightforward for a cryptocrrency user to send a minimal test transaction if necessary for most of the coin types here.  Procedure is :

if a transaction is > 10 hours of your usual pay rate, it is worthwhile spending the 0.1 hours to type in a tiny transaction, usually one day before,  to check that you got it to a valid recipient with no typo

if transaction is > 100 hours of your usual pay then are you really sure that you want to send that much to that location ?

Here I propose some fundamentals of dumkopf kustomer disservice:

• The customer is always wrong
  • The customer who complains most loudly is the most wrong
  • The moral hazard of a refunds culture is absent from the bitcoin world.

If you want to be really stupid and get bailed out for ducking urund with money then go to Wall Street.

Posted: 9/25/2017 7:37:22 PM Edited: 9/25/2017 7:38:47 PM
stevemac32

It is not a matter of customer support that the nature of all bitcoinlike transactions is meant to be irrevocable.  If you dropped $500 down a drain, would you complain that the council did not send out a drain maintenance truck and crew to retrieve it for you ?  Low transaction fees make it straightforward for a cryptocrrency user to send a minimal test transaction if necessary for most of the coin types here.  Procedure is :

if a transaction is > 10 hours of your usual pay rate, it is worthwhile spending the 0.1 hours to type in a tiny transaction, usually one day before,  to check that you got it to a valid recipient with no typo

if transaction is > 100 hours of your usual pay then are you really sure that you want to send that much to that location ?

Here I propose some fundamentals of dumkopf kustomer disservice:

• The customer is always wrong
  • The customer who complains most loudly is the most wrong
  • The moral hazard of a refunds culture is absent from the bitcoin world.

If you want to be really stupid and get bailed out for ducking urund with money then go to Wall Street.

v17: 9/25/2017 7:37:22 PM

I disagree with you completely.  

The tokens are not lost.  

They are sitting in Cryptopias CTR wallet linked to my account.  You can view them here; https://ethplorer.io/address/0x037a7a8982d3d0445bc6a3cbfe50f33139ea9cc2

I have written Cryptopia a guide to return them to me which will take someone no more than 60 seconds to execute at no cost (I will send ETH there for the GAS if need be). The transaction is public and fully auditable so there is no risk about me saying I did did not recieve them. 

The issue is Cryptopia wont do this as they probably hope to keep many transactions like this as additional assests. 

If Cryptopia was a decentralised exchange offering cost fees I would understand your point.  However the fact is they charge high fees in comparison with other exchanges which is fine but you have to give something back if you want to keep your customers. For me they are not, not even 60 seconds of someones time to help me out. Flagrent disregard for consumers will be the reason that governments shut down and regulate this whole market, especially when citezns start complaining to authorities and financial regulators. 

Yes it was stupid thing of me to do but back to my point, Cryptopia can rectify this in under a minute but they choose not to, so what is the point of them as an exchange? - Might as well use EtherDelta et al and pay low fees but actually know there is no support, instead of falsely believing there is. 

Anyway I have found the addresses of both of their directors so will begin taking it up directly with them.  At this point it isnt even about the money, just the principle.  Will update how I get on with that if I am still here.

Posted: 9/25/2017 10:05:25 PM Edited: 9/26/2017 9:47:20 AM
stevemac32

Thank you for your reply. I would certainly not expect you to add another coin just for my 500 BMC, that would be disspraportionate.  

The way you can send my BMC tokens back to me is as follows;

1. Obtain the private key for my CTR wallet which you hold. 
  2. Enter it into Myetherwallet.
  3. Use the TransactionID i sent in my support request to find my ETH/MEW address I sent it from.
  4. Add gas and hit send.

This can be done as the coin is erc20 and your wallets run on the ethereum blockchain (I know this because this is why I and everyone else can see it on Ethplorer). 

R

Steve 

stevemac32: 9/24/2017 9:05:41 PM

@DARoll are you just going to ignore this? And not rectify it immeadiately as you claimed would happen if possible? 

Posted: 9/27/2017 9:56:03 AM
Markli_0509
Threads: 0, Posts: 4

Hello,

I deposited amount of 250NZD to Cryptopia account. It's been more than 24hrs and NZed has not shown up in my account.

May I ask your good office to at least ensure me my money is still there? although I do understand your staff is very busy.

Today is already friday. and your work time is up to 5pm. and currently it's break time. 12pm to 1 pm.

I got only 4 hrs to go to wait for my money and it'll be on monday. 2 days mpre delay of not seeing my money in my account is quite concerning.

It's my hard earned money. I do hope for your quick reply in my inquiry.

My Ticket number: #39051 and 38896

Sincerely,

Mark

P.S. pls. help me. I'm not demanding to be the first, but I would like to ask only if my money is safe and it was not given to someone else. Thanks. Do you need the reference number? or account number? And Sorry I know it's quite out of the topic but I want to be noticed so I got this thread to be latest and similar to my problem.

Posted: 10/5/2017 10:34:25 PM Edited: 10/5/2017 10:35:32 PM
bobthebomb
Threads: 0, Posts: 10

Hello,

I deposited amount of 250NZD to Cryptopia account. It's been more than 24hrs and NZed has not shown up in my account.

May I ask your good office to at least ensure me my money is still there? although I do understand your staff is very busy.

Today is already friday. and your work time is up to 5pm. and currently it's break time. 12pm to 1 pm.

I got only 4 hrs to go to wait for my money and it'll be on monday. 2 days mpre delay of not seeing my money in my account is quite concerning.

It's my hard earned money. I do hope for your quick reply in my inquiry.

My Ticket number: #39051 and 38896

Sincerely,

Mark

P.S. pls. help me. I'm not demanding to be the first, but I would like to ask only if my money is safe and it was not given to someone else. Thanks. Do you need the reference number? or account number? And Sorry I know it's quite out of the topic but I want to be noticed so I got this thread to be latest and similar to my problem.

Markli_0509: 10/5/2017 10:34:25 PM

Hi, as per your support ticket responses this was resolved the same day, there is no need to post in random threads here as well as opening multiple support tickets.

For the information of anyone else reading - there was an issue with Waves (that these tokens are currently on) where they did not credit correctly at that time, we then had to reprocess them all. 

Posted: 10/7/2017 10:29:47 AM
Hydra
Threads: 0, Posts: 2

So just to be sure, if someone were to erroneously send an alt coin to Cryptopia that the exchange doesn't carry, what exactly happens to that amount then ? Has it melted into the ether ? 

Posted: 10/21/2017 4:59:00 AM
spiderpham
Threads: 1, Posts: 13

well, technically...if it is a coin they don't carry....how do you port it to  a usable form without  activating the coin for all?

This  situation sucks, but given they have   never supported BMC...seems you need  to wait and hope  they do???

Maybe drum up some support for   this coin...

Posted: 11/11/2017 9:54:58 PM