Chat

Trollbox
Users Online: 0

Cryptopia Failed Login Attempt

Threads: 1, Posts: 2

Hi,

So I got the following email:

Cryptopia Failed Login Attempt

"Your account was successfully logged in to from the following IP address: 223.205.191.97

Your account has 1 failed login attempts. Your account will be locked in 2 more failed login attempts."

Is this one failed login attemt or a successfull login after a failed attempt? As you could probably guess that was not me. If it was a successfull login does it count it as successfull after the password or after the 2FA code? My funds are still here so my guess is that it was a successfull use of the password (which is unique) and 2FA saved my funds. In any case I need to know for sure so I could try and track down the password leak.

Cheers.

Posted: 6/29/2017 5:39:47 PM
MrFloppy
Threads: 86, Posts: 461

Your account is safe provided you have a unique password and/or use 2FA.

Your email address that you used for login has likely been included in a leak from other sites (eg: bitcointalk.org, btc-e) you have used it on. You can check your email address here to see if it has been leaked on from other sites : https://haveibeenpwned.com/ 

If you suspect someone does know your password please change your password immediately. Its also recomended to enable an authenticator if you have not done so already to further increase the security of your account.  This can be done from your secuirty page: https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Security 

Posted: 6/29/2017 6:21:12 PM
DaRoll
Threads: 1, Posts: 12

FYI - there was a typo in this email and it is supposed to say that an unsuccessful attempt had been made. This typo has now been corrected, sorry if it made you panic when you read it!

As Mr Floppy said, please ensure you have twofactor enabled on your account to keep your coins safe. And make sure your Cryptopia password is ONLY used for Cryptopia. Don't use the same password over multple sites.

Posted: 6/30/2017 1:07:00 PM
Threads: 1, Posts: 2

FYI - there was a typo in this email and it is supposed to say that an unsuccessful attempt had been made. This typo has now been corrected, sorry if it made you panic when you read it!

As Mr Floppy said, please ensure you have twofactor enabled on your account to keep your coins safe. And make sure your Cryptopia password is ONLY used for Cryptopia. Don't use the same password over multple sites.

DaRoll: 6/30/2017 1:07:00 PM

It was a scary typo. 

Thank you for fixing it!cool

Posted: 6/30/2017 2:09:59 PM