Chat

Trollbox
Users Online: 688

Relisting Coins Discussion (Specifically ETH)

Hex
Threads: 197, Posts: 395

Lately we've been receiving a significant number of requests to list ETH and enquiries as to why ETH is not listed here. A refresher on why ETH was delisted can be found here: https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/Forum/Thread/675

Cryptopia was built on ideals, and wouldn't be what it is today without those ideals, but it also wouldn't be what it is today if we hadn't learned to compromise on some of those ideals either. The issue of ETH being listed is receiving enough attention that we're willing to consider it an enter a discussion on the matter.

We're not looking for comments simply stating "Add ETH" or "Think of the volume", if you want us to take this seriously then you will need to provide well reasoned arguments for your case. If this was purely a question of volume ETH would have been relisted ages ago, or even would have never been delisted in the first place.

Our concerns are primarily blockchain immutability. Cryptopia runs on an internal blockchain, the ledger being a record of all deposits, withdraws, trades and transfers between each coin listed on Cryptopia; in the event that transactions are edited or rolled back on the blockchain auditing balances on the site becomes impossible. We cannot rollback trades or transfers so this needs to be addressed in someway, and it still surprises me that other sites and exchanges are not concerned by this.

So ETH supporters: plead your case.

Posted: 3/28/2017 1:00:11 AM
prohashing
Threads: 0, Posts: 2

We own the Prohashing mining pool.  We currently convert all our excess funds to BTC in the exchanges we suport.  This worked well until recently.  Now, the BTC transaction fees are significantly eating into our profits, and the long confirmation times are causing us to sometimes have to delay payouts to our customers.  We have decided to change our trading server to store excess funds in ETH instead of BTC.  ETH has become a stable store of value, and its transaction fees and confirmation times are reasonable. 

All of the exchanges at which we trade, with the exception of Cryptopia, support ETH.  Because of Cryptopia's lack of ETH support, our plan is for our trading server to penalize Cryptopia's pricing by including the cost of the Bitcoin withdrawal in every trade we make.  As a result, our trader would be much less likely to make trades on Cryptopia compared to other exchanges, causing Cryptopia to lose a large portion of our business.

If you support Ethereum, then we will not have to add this penalty, and we will be more likely to make trades on the platform.  If you go even further and add ETH base pairs, our trade volume would increase because then we wouldn't lose money in the BTC to ETH converion that we have to do at other exchanges.

Posted: 3/28/2017 1:56:38 AM
Hex

Well I'm going to call it here then. ETH will remain delisted as per our original reasoning.

Posted: 3/31/2017 2:51:56 AM
abvhiael
Threads: 1, Posts: 3

Well I'm going to call it here then. ETH will remain delisted as per our original reasoning.

Hex: 3/31/2017 2:51:56 AM

i applaud your decision, actually. i agree 100% regarding the announced immutability of the blockchain, and that the foundation should have stayed out of the issue with the DAO. when you invest in something untried, you take a risk. that the "hack" was simply using the contracts AS THEY WERE WRITTEN shows that people should make due diligence in what they invest in, or accept that there could be losses, even massive ones. my opinions on the matter are very strong, and as the project im involved with, SOILcoin, is also a dagger based currency, we've had to deal wth a lot  of blowback, especially when trying to get listed on exchanges. a lot of the mid-range exchanges wont touch eth based currency with a ten foot pole. ive written a support request here at cryptopia to see how to get SOILcoin listed, because of your stance against Ethereum Core. i hope im not overstepping where i should be asking these sorts of quetions, but perhaps you could assist with that, getting SOILcoin listed here. we are presently without an active market, as we suffered delisteing from bittrex in january (they changed the daily avg volume to .5BTC from .2BTC and was at  a time i was not present due to medical issues) would it help to make an [ANN] page in the forums here to introduce the community to SOIL and build support for inclusion? 

Posted: 4/5/2017 8:31:59 PM
Hex

If it's an ETH token then we cannot list is because we do no not support ETH.

Posted: 4/5/2017 10:36:05 PM
globaltrader
Threads: 0, Posts: 6

This is why I love Cryptopia!

Posted: 4/21/2017 5:39:55 AM
drCrypto
Threads: 18, Posts: 133

Hex: 3/31/2017 2:51:56 AM

I support the call.

If you want ETH, buy ETC it has a direct market with ETH.  Trade momentum.  And shut up!

PS .. HXX is making a YUGE statement by not listing .. support that effort!

Posted: 4/24/2017 2:22:08 PM
Butlers
Threads: 2, Posts: 7

Ethereum is going from strength to strength.  I know you originally had your reason's for delisting, but you are missing out on a significant portion of the market and the evolution of Cryptopia by excluding the second biggest player (and potentially the future largest player).  Don't let the past influence your decision on this.  All cryptos have their pro's and con's and you should open it up and let the userbase vote with their wallets rather than self impose it?  Not telling you how to run your exchange just my two cents.

Posted: 6/12/2017 4:16:01 AM